7.03.2008

Vintage Viewings, but Classics?

On February 26, 2008, ESPN Classic began airing AWA Championship Wrestling (circa 1986-1988). When I got word of the announcement of the AWA's airing instead of the UWF which had been re-aired on Classic, I was quite excited. However, I neglected to watch an episode of AWA's 1980's hit until recently. I wasn't missing anything. Packed with jobber matches and lackluster color commentary by the Gagnes, the show is disappointing. Last night I was watching the program, which airs at midnight, and I dozed off in the middle of a bout between Chris Curtis and Steve Olsonoski. Neither of the wrestlers are known outside of perennial viewers of the AWA. And as I type this I realize that the best match was a squash won by Tommy "Wildfire" Rich with a botched "Thez press." The night before, the program was quite a bit stronger, sporting only one true squash and a hefty, but active Adrian Adonis. Yet the show wasn't top notch. There is one constant high spot for the airings - the interviews. The promos are almost always quality material featuring Curt Hennig, Larry Zbyszko, and Nick Bockwinkel. Another bug about AWA Championship Wrestling is the large amount of commercial breaks. So, all in all, the show is a huge letdown. Of course, ESPN isn't respecting it to much with classic rodeo as its lead-in. Nevertheless, it is wrestling, so if there is nothing else on the tube, the die-hard wrestling fan can easily stomach it with all its mediocre matches and meaningless squashes. But I do suggest ESPN look into other libraries such as AWA All-Star Wrestling and, if allowed, it would be amazing to see old editions of WCW Thunder. So if you're restless or seeking sleep, this program is a definite watch.

No comments: